Guidelines for Employment as a Per Diem Teacher
- Under the general supervision of building principals, assistant principals and/or their designees, and in as efficiently, safely and completely a manner possible, the Per Diem Teacher provides continuity of quality instruction to RCSD students during the absence of the regular teacher.
- Adheres to all RCSD policies and procedures to which regular teachers are subjected, as well as those outlined in the handbook and the current contractual agreement between the City School District of Rochester and the Per Diem Substitute Unit of the Rochester Teachers Association.
- Follows, as completely as possible, established routines and procedures of the school and classroom to which assigned and establishes and attempts to achieve classroom goals and objectives developed by the absent teacher.
- Assumes responsibility for maintaining classroom discipline, not only while delivering curriculum, but also during lunch and recess periods when needed. Informs the absent teacher (via written communication) of classroom activities, i.e. work completed, homework assigned, any problems which occurred and methods used to solve them. Performs other related duties as assigned by school building administrators.
No certificate is offered by New York State specifically for per diem teaching. Any New York State certificate allows an individual to work as a Per Diem Teacher. There are three (3) categories of Per Diems:
1. Persons holding valid certificates may Per Diem for any length of time in any area.
2. Persons without certification but who are preparing to be certified may teach for any length of time in any area. Persons who do not hold a valid teaching certificate may teach if they are “completing collegiate study towards certification, at the rate of not less than six semester hours per school year.” A copy of transcripts or test scores must be sent to the Substitute Management Division each semester or each time the test is taken.
3. Persons without certification and who are not preparing to become certified are limited to a maximum of 40 days per year.
Per Diems employed for long-term absences are expected to hold or be working toward certification in the specific field or area in which they are substituting. For details of the requirement, see Commissioner’s Regulations 80-8.5.
Initial Per Diem Teacher Rate
$123.00 per day
Create an on-line account at http://www.applitrack.com/rcsdk12/onlineapp and fill out the application accordingly.
Upload the following documents onto your on-line application under the “Upload Files” Tab:
v Resume & Cover letter
v NYS Teaching Certification (If applicable)
v Three (3) Letters of Recommendationv Evidence of Fingerprint Clearance (from online TEACH account)Where should I go if I have not yet been fingerprinted? Click Here!
Request official Collegiate Transcript(s) to be sent to:Rochester City School District
131 West Broad St
Rochester, NY 14614
Call (585) 262-8554 to verify that all requirements have been met.