Rochester Board of Education Search to Fill Vacancy
The Board of Education has the power to fill any vacancy, by a majority vote, which may occur on the Board by reason of death, resignation, removal from office or from the School District, or refusal to serve, of any member or officer of the Board. The person so appointed in the place of any such member of the Board shall hold his/her office for the remainder of the unexpired portion of such term until the next general election is held.
Whenever a vacancy shall occur or exist in the office of member of the Board of Education except by reason of expiration of term, such vacancy shall be filled by the President of the Board of Education by appointment of a nominee of the members of the Board of Education of the same political affiliation as the person who vacated the office and such nominee shall be elected by the majority vote of the board of education.
If the Board shall not have filled the vacancy within thirty (30) days from the date the vacancy occurred, then the President of the Board of Education shall fill the vacancy from the same political party as that of the person who vacated the office.
However, if the vacancy shall occur in the office of member of the Board of Education filled by an incumbent elected on a non-partisan or an independent basis, such vacancy shall be filled, after nomination by the President of the Board of Education, by majority vote of the remaining members of the board of education.
The person appointed to fill a vacancy shall hold office until the 2018 general election, during which a successor will be elected to serve until December 31, 2019. To qualify, applicants must be:
- A citizen of the United States;
- Eighteen (18) years of age or older;
- Able to read and write;
- A legal resident of the District;
- A member of the of the same political affiliation as the person who is vacating the office;
- Cannot be an employee of the Rochester City School District;
- The only member of his/her family (that is, cannot be a member of the same household) on the Board;
- No person shall hold at the same time the office of member of the Board of Education and any other elective office nor shall he/she be a candidate for any other elective office at the same time
- He/she is a candidate for the office of member of the Rochester Board of Education;
- Must not have been removed from a school district office within one (1) year preceding the date of appointment or election to the Board;
- Is a qualified voter under Election Law §§5-102.
Ref: Education Law §§2553(9)(e)
Applicants should mail a letter of interest, biography, and resume or curriculum vitae to the attention of the District Clerk at:
Rochester Board of Education
131 W. Broad Street
Rochester, NY 14614
Information can also be emailed by the deadline to Shanai.Lee@rcsdk12.org. Information must be received by 5:00 p.m. on December 8, 2017.
After applications are reviewed an interview schedule will be established.
The Board has 30 days to appoint a new representative. If the Board does not fill the vacancy occurred, then the President of the Board of Education shall fill the vacancy from the same political party as that of the person who vacated the office.