We just celebrated our 2023 CIT Interns of the Year!
More photos and video here: www.rcsdk12.org/CIT/Interns
All new teachers in the RCSD get intensive, customized support from a CIT Lead Teacher-Mentor!
Not new, but looking for non-evaluative, targeted support from a trusted, experienced colleague? Consider requesting: CIT Professional Support.
New Educator Orientation information: NEO RESOURCES and INFO
Find SELF-CARE Resources here: CIT Self-Care
See links at left for Tuition Reimbursement or License Renewal information.
Visit the Office of Human Capital's New Hire Resources/Staff Handbook here: sites.google.com/rcsd121.org/rcsdstaffhandbook/home
Click here for Deferred for Summer Pay Information.
Visit the CIT YouTube Channel:
CIT featured on RTA's Rochester Teachers Care:
Check out CIT on WXXI Connections:
www.wxxinews.org/post/connections-mentorship-teachersRochester's Career in Teaching (CIT) ProgramCareer in Teaching (CIT) was established in 1987 as a collaborative effort between the Rochester Teachers Association and the Rochester City School District. Its focus is providing one-on-one professional support for teachers using a Peer Assistance and Review (PAR) program. The CIT Program's goals are to retain high quality teachers and to strengthen teaching and learning in our district through peer coaching in the spirit of a true profession.View current CIT program descriptions and data in our slideshow here: CIT Program Slides.In order to be eligible for Professional Certification, all teachers with Initial Certification are required by New York State to receive mentoring during their first year of teaching. First year teachers, called Interns, are paired with vetted, trained Lead Teacher-Mentors based on their certification areas (see CIT Guidebook for Interns). Mentors provide intensive support to new teachers, guided by the four Domains of the Danielson "Framework for Teaching:" Planning and Preparation, Classroom Environment, Instruction, and Professional Responsibilities (see CIT Teacher Evaluation Guide).Some of a mentor's responsibilities include the following:
Teachers who are receiving their first Masters Degree in order to complete NYS certification requirements are eligible to receive tuition reimbursement. Find information here: www.rcsdk12.org/CIT/Tuition.
- Provide oral and written feedback on classroom observations of Intern
- Provide sample daily lessons and discuss long range plans
- Explore a variety of classroom management techniques
- Provide demonstration lessons for Intern
- Assist Intern in the use of technology in the classroom
- Assist Intern with parent-teacher conferencing skills
- Examine Common Core teaching standards and direct classroom application
- Set up classroom observations of veteran teachers at a variety of sites
- Examine student work and discuss student assessment techniques
Jointly attend workshops and conferences
- Assist Intern in the use of community speakers, organizations and other resources
- Help Intern to prepare for standardized testing
- Discuss teacher certification requirements
- Discuss appropriate interaction with colleagues and supervisors
Explore professional opportunities
In addition to the mentoring of new teachers, the CIT Program also provides several other types of support:
For more information about mentoring or any other aspect of the CIT Program, contact the Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Professional Support is voluntary peer coaching provided to “Resident” or “Professional” teachers with the goal of improving practice.
- Intervention Support is voluntary peer coaching designed to “offer all available resources to help improve the performance of experienced teachers who are having serious difficulties in the performance of their professional duties.”
- Independent Evaluation is provided by specially-trained mentors to evaluate colleagues using the Danielson Framework for Teaching rubric as part of the APPR evaluation process.
You need at least version 7 of Flash player. Download latest version here!This slide show includes photos of the 2011 Interns of the Year.
You need at least version 7 of Flash player. Download latest version here!This slide show includes photos of Interns at the October, 2010 New Teacher Orientation.
Career in Teaching
Stefan Cohen, Director 131 West Broad Street www.rcsdk12.org/CIT Rochester, NY 14614 585-262-8541