NOTE: As at August 1, 2019 Board Committees have been reinstated as Committees of the Whole, with the exception of the Excellence in Student Achievement Committee (which remains suspended).Community and Intergovernmental Relations Committee
Judith Davis, ChairThe purpose of the Community and Intergovernmental Relations (CIGR) Committee is two-fold: 1) to increase public awareness of the Board of Education and the ways in which Board oversight and decision-making improve student performance and achievement in the District and 2) to facilate the Board's working relationship with stakeholders to advance District interests.Stakeholders include:
- Parents, grandparents and guardians;
- Members of the Rochester Community including the business community;
- Tochester City School District Staff; and
- Local, state and nationally elected officials, lobbyists and school board organizations
The objectives of the Community and Intergovernmental Relations (CIGR) Committee are to:
- Educate stakeholders on the role of the Board of Education and ways in which oversight and decision making are conducted
- Educate stakeholders on the priorities and initiatives of the Board of Education and the District
- Ensure District information and decisionsare communicated to stakeholders;
- Stay attuned to stakeholder issues and concerns so that Board members represent the views, interests and values of all stakeholders when making policy, exercising fiscal responsibility, or overseeing the Superintendent; and
- Enhance the role of stakeholders by:
Inviting stakeholders to participate in board meetings, committee meetings, budget hearings, forums, and town halls
Establishing citizen-based advisory groups for specific purposes such as reviewing and providing feedback on the District’s mission, vision, strategic plan, and goals;
Harnessing other resources stakeholders can bring to the District to improve student performance and academic achievent
- Develop, with Superintendent and stakeholders, annual legislative agenda.
- Review and make recommendations to the Board on proposed legislation effecting the Board, RCSD or students, as well as legal cases that may impact RCSD, i.e. CFE (Campaign for Fiscal Equity).
- Review all Board resolutions pertaining to Board positions, appropriate contracts (lobbyist).
- With stakeholders, advocate on behalf of the Board and RCSD.
- Work to build and maintain relationships with local, state and national elected officials.
Serve as conduit with City Hall and work closely with Board to ensure input on City Hall decisions that may impact RCSD.
Click here to view and download all of the Community and Intergovernmental Relations Committee Meeting Minutes.