Rochester Board Of Education Launches Search To Fill Vacancy
(September 4, 2020) The Rochester City School District Board of Education is launching a search to fill a vacancy on the Board. Commissioner Natalie Sheppard recently announced her resignation from the Board of Education effective August 28, 2020. According to state law, the Board of Education has the power to fill any vacancy, by a majority vote, which may occur on the Board by reason of death, resignation, removal from office or from the School District, or refusal to serve, of any member or officer of the Board. Given the anticipated vacancy, the Board has launched a search for the seat once occupied by Sheppard.
Beginning immediately, the Board will accept applications to fill the vacancy. The person appointed will fill the vacancy from the date of appointment until December 31, 2020.
To qualify, applicants must be:
- A citizen of the United States;
- Eighteen (18) years of age or older;
- Able to read and write;
- A legal resident of the District;
- A member of the of the same political affiliation as the person who is vacating the office;
- Cannot be an employee of the Rochester City School District;
- The only member of his/her family (that is, cannot be a member of the same household) on the Board;
- No person shall hold at the same time the office of member of the Board of Education and any other elective office nor shall he/she be a candidate for any other elective office at the same time
- He/she is a candidate for the office of member of the Rochester Board of Education;
- Must not have been removed from a school district office within one (1) year preceding the date of appointment or election to the Board;
- Is a qualified voter under Election Law §5-102.
Applicants should mail a letter of interest, biography, and resume or curriculum vitae to the attention of the District Clerk at:
Rochester Board of Education
131 W. Broad Street
Rochester, NY 14614
The information can also be emailed by the deadline to firstname.lastname@example.org Information must be received by 5:00 p.m. on September 11, 2020.
After applications are reviewed, an interview schedule will be established.
The Board has 30 days to appoint a new representative. If the Board does not fill the vacancy within thirty (30) days from the date the vacancy occurred, then the President of the Board of Education shall fill the vacancy from the same political party as that of the person who vacated the office.