Rochester summer learning programs help students catch up in English and math, and our data shows that summer learning works. The large majority of Rochester summer students maintain or improve academic achievement. Children not in learning programs during July and August lose much of the academic progress they made during the previous school year.
Today’s summer learning is more than English and math. Students can discover their cultural heritage, take courses on college campuses, pursue interests in art, music, or science and exercise their bodies along with their minds. Our programs aren’t just for students who are falling behind, but those who want to get a head start on the next school year.With the support of the community, Rochester City School District continues to develop our efforts to enhance summer learning. Our goal is to prevent summer learning loss, help students make academic gains, and develop social-emotional skills during the summer months so they are ready to begin the next grade in the fall. Our Summer Learning program serves a continuum of grades K-12. In addition, Rochester City School District offers targeted services to all students including those special needs and English Language Learners. The RCSD ROC Summer Learning programs provide equitable opportunities for all students throughout the summer offered by our schools and community partners. Families collaborate with schools to participate in these programs based on interest and need. We are proud to collaborate with a variety of community-based organizations across the county to focus on high-quality academic content and enrichment.Our secondary offerings promote additional credits for recovery and advancement. Students in grades 9 and 10 will be able to select a location and start time that best meets their needs. The graduation site at Franklin will offering a longer day to promote on time graduation, and help ensure 11th graders are prepared upon entering their senior year of high school. Work based learning opportunities for students are also embedded in our secondary sites.Summer Learning Goals
Six Essential Elements of All Summer Learning ProgramsAll students will be experience:
- Prevent summer learning loss and increase academic achievement in ELA and/or math
- Develop student socio-emotional skills
- Promote student health and wellness
- Increase graduation rate
- Credit accrual for on time graduation
- High Quality Literacy and Math Lessons
- Healthy Breakfast and Lunch
- Enrichment Opportunities
- Social and Emotional Curriculum / Support
- Outside Play for elementary
- No Cost to our families
What Parents Should Know about Summer Learning
• Summer learning is free!
• Transportation is provided, just like the regular school year: Yellow-bus service for K-8, RTS passes for grades 9-12.
• Free breakfast and lunch is served at most locations.
• Most sites are air-conditioned.
• Classes are taught by certified District teachers and in some programs students will be with teachers from their own school.• Most summer programming starts the week of July 5th, and many programs last for 5 weeks.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com