What is Coronavirus?
Coronavirus Disease 2019 is a new disease that causes respiratory illness in people and can spread from person to person. This virus was first identified during an investigation into an outbreak in Wuhan, China.
More information from the Centers for Disease Control: What you need to know about coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)
How can I keep my child and family safe?
Exposure to COVID-19 can occur from any person-to-person contact and is not limited to a particular race or ethnicity. For now, the most important thing you can do to protect yourself and your family is to follow the standard preventive practices for influenza.
There are a number of steps that can minimize the spread of all respiratory illnesses, including COVID-19, according to the New York State Department of Health:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick and stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
How is RCSD Responding?
RCSD is committed to making all decisions in the best interest of the health and safety of students, families, and staff. The District will continue to follow the guidelines set forth by the New York State Department of Health regarding COVID-19, which recommends that schools perform typical cleaning activities, such as routinely cleaning high-touch surfaces (e.g., doorknobs, light switches, countertops). As a precaution, we are also doing the following:
- Remaining in close contact with the Monroe County Health Department on local health emergency procedures in our community to be proactive in our decision making.
- Convening planning teams to ensure awareness of emergency procedures specific to virus outbreak.
- Modifying our emergency management plans as needed, in light of evolving information.
- Reminding families to update their emergency contact information at their child's school.
- Communicating any pertinent updates through the RCSD website, social media, letters to families, and emails to staff