The Department of Multilingual Education oversees Bilingual Programs, English as a New Language (ENL), Home Language Supports, and Languages Other than English (LOTE).
RCSD Core Values
RCSD Board Policy #4326 Reflects our Blueprint for ELL Success
- Bilingualism is an asset
- All RCSD teachers are teachers of English Language Learners
- All RCSD staff are responsible for the success of English Language Learners
- Every parent is a valued partner
In order to foster bilingualism, biliteracy, and biculturalism, the RCSD offers:
Bilingual Education Progams For Spanish Speaking ELLs
- Transitional Bilingual Education Programs
- One Way Dual Language Programs
- Two Way Dual Language Programs
Each one of the programs above contain an English as a New Language (ENL) program component.
English as a New Language (ENL) Program
- Integrated ENL instruction
- Stand alone instruction with no more than two contiguous grade levels
- Two years of support services for former ELLs
- Starting 2017-18 school year: Additional Home Language Supports
Students with Interrupted/Inconsistent Formal Education (SIFE)/ Newcomer program at RIA
Eighty different languages are spoken in the RCSD.
The percentage of ELLs within the total RCSD student population continues to rise. This trend is expected to continue in the next few years. (Data taken from NYSED and SPA for the last two years)