The School of the Arts was founded in 1980 as an experimental program at Wilson Jr. High School.
In 1981, the school transferred to Monroe High School as was known as the School of the Arts at Monroe. Only grades 7-9 were represented that year. The school stayed at Monroe for many years, eventually becoming a full Jr-Sr. High School, while retaining the name "School of the Arts at Monroe". In 1994 we moved into our current space at 45 Prince St and became School of the Arts.
The buildings we are currently housed in are Foster Hall, built in 1925, and Munro Hall built in 1939 by the University of Rochester as a women’s dormitory. In 1955 all women moved to the University’s River Campus and the building became the Eastman School of Music dormitory.
In 1991 Eastman moved to the towers and the building was sold to RCSD. 3 years later, in September 1994, School of the Arts moved to the beautifully renovated building here at 45 Prince St.
The original façade of Munro Hall remains as the background to our commons, a space used for student lunches and, occasionally, performances.