- Why Universal Pre-Kindergarten?
When your child enters the free Universal Pre-kindergarten program in the Rochester City School District, they become a part of a learning community that nurtures individual growth and provides a strong foundation for lifelong learning.
- Why enroll?
Pre-K offers an educational program taught by a NYS certified teacher to prepare your child for learning in school. Children who participate in quality early childhood programs:
- Learn socialization skills through group activities;
- Experience reading and writing readiness activities;
- Are better prepared for school success;
- Are more likely to attain higher levels of education.
New York State Prekindergarten Learning Standards | View
- What do I expect?
- Your child will receive 6 hours of an intentionally planned Pre-K program.
- All of Rochester's Prekindergarten classrooms use the HighScope Curriculum. Click here for more information about the HighScope Curriculum.
- The curriculum is aligned to NYS Next Generation Learning Standards and ensures continuity with elementary grades.
- Activities are learner-centered and promote a child's growth and development.
- There are NYS certified teachers in all school and community UPK classrooms.
Ready to apply? Click here to learn how.