Why Universal PreKindergarten?When your child enters the free Universal Prekindergarten program in the Rochester City School District, he or she becomes part of a learning community that nurtures individual growth and provides a strong foundation for lifelong learning.Why enroll?Pre-K offers an educational program taught by a NYS certified teacher to prepare your child for learning in school. Children who participate in quality early childhood programs:
Click here to view posters giving facts about the Rochester Pre-K programs and the child assessment used.Click here to view the 18th Annual Rochester Early Childhood Assessment Partnership (RECAP) Report.What to expect:
- Learn socialization skills through group activities;
- Experience reading and writing readiness activities;
- Are better prepared for school success;
- Are more likely to attain higher levels of education.
New York State Prekindergarten Learning Standards
- Your child will receive a minimum of 2 1/2 hours of an intentionally planned Pre-K program.
- All of Rochester's Prekindergarten classrooms use the HighScope Curriculum. Click here for more information about the HighScope Curriculum.
- The curriculum is aligned to NYS Learning Standards and ensures continuity with elementary grades.
- Activities are learner-centered and promote a child's growth and development.
- There are NYS certified teachers in all school and community UPK classrooms.
- Click here for NYS Standards