Face covers must be worn at all times in shared spaces such as:
Face covers will be worn in classrooms at all times unless a mask break is given
- Mask breaks will only be given when six feet of space is available and will be short in duration
- Face covers may not be worn during some therapies, for example, speech – a physical divider will be used whenever this is necessary
Remember: A face shield cannot be worn instead of a face cover. Face covers must cover the nose, mouth, and chin.
Face Cover Exemptions
There are only 3 mask exemptions accepted by Monroe County Department of Health:
- A previously documented neuromuscular disorder that makes it difficult for a child to remove a mask themselves, or
- A child with a previously diagnosed, severe developmental/behavioral problem, or
- A child with a diagnosis of Serious Emotional Disturbance (SED) or other significant mental health problem, currently in the care of a behavioral health team, and it is believed by this team that wearing a face mask would lead to worsening emotional harm.
The form must be signed by the student’s health care provider and provided to the school.
Download: Mask Exemption Form
- Face covers will be worn by all staff members
- Only students with a signed medical exemption form will be allowed to not wear a face cover. This form is also available in the COVID-19 Resources section on the Monroe County Department of Health Website under the 'Reopening K-12 Schools in Monroe County' tab
- Other safety precautions will be put into place if there is a student with a face cover exemption.