Actions to consider once the school year begins
Create opportunities for staff and students to regularly practice and reflect on their social emotional learning competencies. Have careful conversations with staff and students to discuss the past, current, and future impacts of COVID-19 on themselves and the world around them.
- Conversations should take part in a safe space where participants demonstrate respect to each other. While deliberate efforts should be made to foster a trauma-sensitive environment, be mindful that these conversations may trigger emotional responses and can also lead to difficult discussions revolving around inequity.
- Topics you may consider, include but are not limited to:
- Grief, loss, and trauma.
- Mental health and supportive behaviors.
- Bias, prejudice, and stigma.
- Preparedness, hope, and resilience; and
- Fear, anxiety, anger