From the Principal's Pen
Hi School 12 Community,
As we are in the throes of the holiday season as I write these lines. Remember to spend time with your children. Perhaps you could read daily together and tell family stories. Complete the ROC Read paperwork for your free Wegman's meals and school recognition.
A few data points to check where our school is doing:
· Attendance- at 95% this year. The district average is 88%. Last year we were at 93.5%. Keep up the great work. Please make sure your child is here on time each and every day so we get this up to 96% for next month!
· Student Classroom Work- We continue to roll out the NYS Common Core State Standard Curriculum, for ELA for Grades K- 5 and the Rochester Curriculum for all other subjects and grade 6. The teachers are working hard to make sure all children are able to meet these new rigorous expectations. The kids are loving the units as they go very deeply into one topic for several weeks at a time. Ask your child what they are studying in reading.
· Each grade level has a 30 minute block of time dedicated to intervention and enrichment. Children are being assessed three times a year to see how they are progressing towards reaching the grade level expectations. They were then grouped for instruction on their performance levels. You received a letter in late October telling you who was the teacher and what was the focus on the group. This block ends at the end of December. You will be getting another letter informing you of your child's progress and the new group they will be assigned in January.
· We hope you are all working on the Family Poster Contest on what our new school vision mean to you and your family. All entries are due December 11th. All families that participate will receive a certificate. Winners will be announced at the School 12 Winter Concert. Here is the vision for your use. Winning entries will be displayed throughout the building as VISION POSTERS fro all to enjoy. If you need more materials for your family, please call Parent Liaison, Susan Allen at 461-3280.
We, at James P. B. Duffy School #12, promise to engage our minds, develop our bodies
and lead with our hearts to be academically ready, socially mature and responsible citizens.
· The School Wide Positive Behavioral System (SWPBS) Team is going great guns as well. Referrals to the office are down and very few children are visiting the ATS
· At the November PTA meeting I shared the State of the School Address and spent time talking to parents about what we are doing to help increase students’ academic performance. See the State of the School address power point presented within this website.
Have a great holiday season. Take time for yourselves and spend time with the greatest assets we have in the work- our children.
Thanks for your continued support.
Students Report 7:50 a.m.
Dismissal 2:10 p.m.
Wednesday early dismissal 1:25 p.m.