For students onsite, meals will be provided while maintaining appropriate social distancing between students. Students do not need to wear face coverings when seated and eating as long as they are socially distanced appropriately.
The District will provide social distancing between individuals while eating in the school cafeteria. If not feasible, meals may be served in alternate areas (e.g., classrooms) or in staggered meal periods to ensure social distancing and proper cleaning and disinfection between students.
The sharing of food and beverages (e.g., buffet style meals, snacks) is prohibited, unless individuals are members of the same household. Adequate space will be reserved for students, faculty, and staff to observe social distancing while eating meals.
Breakfast and Lunch
- School breakfast and lunch will be provided to students who were previously receiving school meals, both on-site and remotely.
- Safety precautions will be in place to protect students with food allergies if meals are provided in spaces outside the cafeteria.
- Students will eat at their desk.
- Spills will be properly cleaned up.
- Students will not be allowed to share food and beverages.
- Students will perform proper hand hygiene before and after eating.
- There will be no self-service items available.
- Six feet of social distance will be maintained unless it is necessary to be closer to another individual to complete the task being performed. Face coverings will be worn whenever six feet of social distance cannot be maintained.
- There will be no gatherings in break rooms.
- When employees use a breakroom, they will wear face coverings unless eating. If eating, employees will be distanced six feet apart in all directions.
- If cafeterias are in use, barriers will be used at point-of-sale/pick-up locations.
- Additional barriers will be used as necessary. Specific needs will change as on-site staff numbers change and will be evaluated by the Environmental Health & Safety Department.
- Whenever possible, meals will be provided in classrooms.
- Social distance of six feet in all directions will be maintained when students are eating.
- If cafeterias are in use, meal periods will be staggered to allow for disinfection between each use.
- If cafeterias are in use, a six-foot spacing marker will be placed in front of the serving lines while students are waiting to pick up food.
- Face covers will be available for all students and staff that require a face cover and do not have one.
- Other protective equipment (e.g. gloves, face shields, or goggles) will be provided as necessary.
- Staff will wear a face covering in all common areas and whenever six feet of distance cannot be maintained.
- Staff that routinely come within six feet of others due to the nature of the task being performed will be provided with a face shield or safety goggles.
- Staff will use other protective equipment as required by State and local sanitary codes.
- If a cafeteria is in use, students will wear a face cover whenever they are not seated.
- Students will not wear a face cover when eating. Six feet of distance in all directions must be provided.
- Signage will be placed at hand sinks directing staff that hand sanitizer is ineffective on visibly soiled hands and that they must wash hands with soap and water.
- Staff will perform hand hygiene regularly and at minimum:
- After using the restroom
- Prior to handling food
- After wiping or touching their nose, mouth, or eyes
- After using disinfectant or other cleaners
- Before and after using any shared object, item, or tool
- Gloves will be used, when possible based on the task, when shared objects, items, or tools are used.
- If gloves are used, they will be replaced regularly, as required by code and at minimum, whenever they become soiled or damaged.
- Students will perform hand hygiene before and after eating.
- Appropriate cleaning chemicals and disinfectants will be provided.
- Clean water rinses will occur as required on surfaces with direct food contact.
- If cafeterias are in use, serving lines, seating areas used by students, touch pads, and other shared surfaces will be disinfected between each group use.
- Carts used for food delivery will be disinfected before and after each use.
- Other shared spaces, tools, and/or equipment will be disinfected between each use.
- Kitchen managers, or their appointees, will inspect and record supply inventory daily on the Daily Checklist for Supplies.
Training and Education
- The Food Service Department will provide information related to school reopening and other mandatory requirements to staff prior to and immediately upon their return to work.