School No. 46 is located on a quiet, tree-lined residential street in the heart of the city’s historic Browncroft neighborhood. Much of the area near the school was originally part of the Brown Brothers’ Nursery, started in the 1800s. When the land was subdivided into home lots, the Brown brothers landscaped them generously with ornamental trees, many of them still standing.
The City of Rochester annexed the Browncroft area from Brighton in 1914, and the site of the present school was acquired in 1921. The Board of Education authorized a new school building at the corner of Newcastle and Dorchester Roads.
School No. 46 opened its doors in September, 1932, and was named after Major Charles Carroll who was one of the three original purchasers of the 100-acre tract of land that was the beginning of Rochester.