ENL- English as a New Language
ENL services help students who come from language backgrounds other than English. Students develop and increase their English language skills in order to be increasingly successful in school and beyond. ENL teachers support English Language Learners (ELL's) in content classes including math, science, social students and English. ENL teachers also provide stand-alone ESOL classes to provide additional support to their students. At Edison our students speak a variety of languages. A few examples of languages spoken at Edison are Arabic, Karen, Nepali, Somali, Spanish and Swahili.
The ENL Teacher's Mission:
We guide English Language Learners (ELLs) in the acquisition of their new language and content studies by providing high quality instruction and support. We aspire to serve as resources and advocates for our ELLs and their families. Our goal is to provide language and cultural awareness so students can thrive academically and socially in our community.
NYSITELL & NYSESLAT:
Students typically take the NYSITELL when starting as a student in the Rochester City School District. This test was developed to learn how much English is known by a students whose primary language at home is other than English. Results from the NYSITELL determine how much support a student receives in school. Students are given a score of "entering, emerging, transitioning, expanding or commanding." ENL teachers use NYSITELL data to build a program to imporve all aspects of their students English including reading, writing, speaking and listening.
Students classified as English Language Learners (ELL's) take the NYSESLAT annually to assess their growth and profinciency in all aspects of the English language. Students are tested in four parts, reading, writing, speaking and listening. Results from this test are used to update a students units of service and can inform teachers of a student's strengths and weaknesses.
For more information about the NYSITELL and NYSESLAT click here
Resources for Students:
Resources for Parents:
- Parent Interpreter Request Form https://www.rcsdk12.org/domain/13439
- ELL Grading Guidelines https://sites.google.com/rcsd121.org/rcsd-bilingual-programming/ell-essentials/ell-grading-guidance?authuser=0
- RCSD Department of Multilingual Education https://www.rcsdk12.org/dome
- Bilingual Education Council (B.E.C) https://www.rcsdk12.org/domain/13443
- Multilingual Parent Advisory Council (MPAC) https://www.rcsdk12.org/domain/13025
- A Guide for Parents of English Language Learners and Multilingual Learners in New York State http://www.nysed.gov/bilingual-ed/guide-parents-english-language-learners-and-multilingual-learners-new-york-state
- Parents' Bill of Rights for New York State's English Language Learners and Multilingual Learners & ELL Parent Hotline http://www.nysed.gov/bilingual-ed/parents-bill-rights-new-york-states-english-language-learners-and-multilingual-learners
- Resources for Parents of Teens https://www.colorincolorado.org/resources-parents-teens
- Recursos para padres de adolescentes https://www.colorincolorado.org/es/families/recursos-para-padres-de-adolescentes
- RCSD English Language Lerner Handbook https://sites.google.com/rcsd121.org/rcsd-bilingual-programming/english-language-learner-handbook?authuser=0