This research guide includes links to information that can help students and teachers as they study A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park.
Salva Dut Biography
Learn more about Salva Dut by reading his biography and watching this video about his life:
You can learn more about Linda Sue Park on TeachingBooks.net and even hear Ms. Park read part of A Long Walk to Water out loud. See Ms. Wise for our TeachingBooks password.
Country and Camp Information
- CultureGrams has excellent country information. See Ms. Wise for our CultureGrams password.
- The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has web pages for many countries including South Sudan and Kenya.
- The US Department of State also has web pages for South Sudan and Kenya.
- Salva walked from South Sudan to Ethiopia to the Kakuma refugee camp in Kenya. Learn more about the Kakuma camp from the Kakuma Refugee Camp Free Press, a source for news from the camp.
Water Crisis in Africa
- Learn more about Salva Dut's work digging wells in Africa from the Water for South Sudan website.
- The World Health Organization's web page on water explains some of the issues associated with water scarcity.
- Water for South Sudan, a charity Salva Dut helped create, provides information on the water crisis in the video Just Add Water.
- Unclean water can spead serious diseases. Two of these diseases are mentioned in A Long Walk to Water. The Mayo Clinic provides information about cholera. WebMD shares information about dracunculosis, the disease caused by guinea worm larvae.