Parents and other citizens are encouraged to visit Rochester’s schools to observe the work of students and teachers. However, schools must maintain certain limits regarding visitors so that their primary mission of teaching and learning can take place effectively.
The following are among the rules for visitors stated in the Code of Conduct:
- Anyone who is not a regular staff member of Enrico Fermi Campus or student of the school will be considered a visitor.
- During school hours all visitors, including staff members from other buildings must report to the front desk upon arrival at the school. There they will be required to sign the visitor’s register and wait for a staff member to escort them to their destination. Visitors may be given a color coded pass at this time.
- Yellow—Dropping off
- Red—Needs an escort
- Visitors who wish to observe a classroom while school is in session are required to arrange such visits 24 hours in advance with the classroom teacher(s), so that class disruption is kept to a minimum.
- Teachers are expected not to take class time to discuss individual matters with visitors. Meetings with teachers should be pre-arranged by phone or through written correspondence.
- All visitors are expected to abide by the rules for public conduct on school property including turning cell phones off and refraining from emailing and texting during classroom visits.