Important Message from the Superintendent
I want to share my decision to retire effective January 31, 2019. I have notified the Board of Education of my decision and will work closely with the Board on a smooth and successful transition to new leadership.
It has been a privilege to work side-by-side with so many dedicated educators, staff members, parents, and community partners in school improvement to provide a quality education to every child by face and name in every classroom and school across our city. Though we face many long-standing challenges, we have made progress in:
- Ensuring students have expanded learning opportunities including Pre-K, summer learning, and extended learning time
- Creating stronger community schools
- Early hiring of bilingual educators, special educators, and teachers representative of the community we serve
- Welcoming hundreds of families from Puerto Rico and other hurricane-impacted regions
- Implementing school climate improvement
- Driving initiatives on racial equity, implicit bias, and trauma-responsive practices
- Ensuring every student is supported by face and name to achieve grade-level standards and on-time graduation
These are but a few examples of our progress together, and I know your hard work and commitment will help ensure the progress continues. I want to thank our District Leadership teams, labor partners, parents, and community members who work tirelessly every day to educate our students and support our families across the city. I also want to express deep appreciation and thanks to each of you for all you have done for the children and families in the Rochester City School District. I am inspired by your passion to provide the children of our community the high-quality education they deserve.
Rochester is a special place, and I have great hope for the future of our schools.