Andrew J. Townsend School No. 39
Uniforms Required: No
Foreign Languages: No
English Language Learners: Yes
Honors/Enrichment Classes: No
Early Literacy Program: No
Instrumental Music Lessons: Yes
Sports: Yes, Basketball and Soccer
Step Teams: No
Extended/Expanded Day: Yes, EnCompass
Saturday School: No
On-Site After-School Care: No
Summer Programs: No
Business/College/Faith Partnerships: Center for Youth Services, Church of Transfiguration, Rochester Community Foundation, Community Place, Black Women’s Leadership Forum, Pillars of Hope, Xerox-Junior Achievement, North Star Rites of Passage, RIT-Liberty Partnerships
- EnCompass after-school program provides inquiry-based learning and targeted tutoring in ELA and Math, three nights a week (Monday - Wednesday) for grades 1-5, with transportation and dinner provided.
- The Positive Behavioral and Intervention Supports (PBIS) model is promoted. School No. 39 teaches, models, reviews, and reward students, reviewing expectations on an ongoing basis.
- Each grade level participates in a daily learning acceleration block (LAB). Students are grouped based on reading needs.
- After-school activites include: Co-ed Basketball Team, Flower City Soccer, Rites of Passage (grade 5), Liberty Partnerships (grade 6), Sister Keepers (girls’ group), EnCompass (grades 1-5),
Soulful Expression Poetry Dance Club, Girls on the Run, Boy Scouts.
- Victorious Minds Academy- a teaching philosophy based upon the Relationship Model of Educational Intervention designed by Joy DeGruy.