Anna Murray-Douglass Academy School No. 12
Start Time 7:30 a.m.
Dismissal Time 2:00 p.m.Grade Level PreK-8
Shirley J.A. Green
What Every Family Should Know
Anna Murray Douglass Academy is nestled in the historic Southwedge Neighborhood in the City of Rochester. The school sits on the site of the previous home of civil rights activists Fredrick Douglass and Anna Murray-Douglass. Focused learning opportunities are provided to students in Grades PreKindergarten – Eighth Grade, which includes bilingual programming as an option for students in grades Kindergarten – Eighth Grade. The school’s Vision, “Achieving Greatness Together,” speaks to the ongoing efforts of this school community to instill collaboration as the centerpiece of its work.
Uniforms Required NoForeign Languages Spanish in Dual Language ProgramEnglish Language Learners YesHonors/Enrichment Classes YesEarly Literacy Program YesChorus YesBand/Orchestra YesInstrumental Music Lessons YesSports YesStep Teams NoExtended/Expanded Day NoSaturday School NoOn-Site After-School Care YesSummer Programs NoBusiness/College/Faith Partnerships Junior Achievement, Rochester Midland, Frederick Douglass Resource Center (City Recreation), Frederick Douglass Public Library, Greater Rochester Health Foundation, Highland Hospital, Mt. Olivet Baptist Church, Genesee Street Missionary Baptist Church
- Kindergarten – 8th Grade Dual Language Program (HOLA) is offered with an emphasis on language learning. The school’s bilingual program includes bilingual instruction for students of families who speak Spanish or English at home. From basic Spanish through Spanish enrichment, team-teaching models that pair Spanish teachers with content area teachers are used.
- Honors/Regents level courses prepare children for a rigorous academic high school program.
- Extracurricular activities include intramural athletics, modified sports, drama, band, chorus, step team, and after-school clubs.
- Strong music and arts program, with instrumental music and many ensemble opportunities.
- Leadership development through advisory to support adolescent emotional investment.