- The Red Jacket Help Zone provides effective social and emotional supports for students in grades 7-8. This, in turn, minimizes the loss of instructional time and provides the individualized academic and social support that students need.
- Homebase session occurs daily and contributes to positive school culture. It promotes understanding of community partners, increases literacy, and teaches students restorative strategies that transfer to all areas of their lives. Homebase Advisors monitor attendance in their Period 1.
- James Monroe Lower School students will begin their journey towards being eligible for the New York State Seal of Biliteracy, which signifies a high level of proficiency in more than one language. In addition, it prepares students with 21st century skills and provides those seeking college acceptance with an advantage during the application process.
- Restorative approaches are used to address student conflict and resolve matters peacefully. Our student ambassadors have been recognized throughout the state for their work in this program.
- Honors Program featuring acceleration in English, math, science, social studies, and Languages Other Than English (LOTE). Students have the potential to earn high school credits during 8th grade.
- Art department offers foundational, ceramics, and progressive technology courses.
- Music department features a state award-winning Steel Drum Band, piano instruction, and guitar instruction.
- Foreign Language department offers college-level courses and Spanish for Heritage Learners and native speakers.
- Established and welcoming Parent Resource Center that supports parents as partners in their child’s education.
Parent Ambassadors, student ambassadors, and Student Government are active groups that support the school’s mission, vision, and initiatives.
Foreign Languages: Spanish
James Monroe Lower School students will begin their academic path towards Advanced Placement (AP): English Language, English Literature, World History, U.S. History, Psychology, Spanish
Health/Wellness Center: No
Business/College/Faith Partnerships: Center for Youth, RIT - Gear Up, University of Rochester Upward Bound, IBERO American Action League, SUNY Brockport, Hillside Work Scholarship, Hillside Health Homes, Foodlink, YMCA, Trillium Health, Flower City Arts Center, Excellus, Borinquen Dance Theater