Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. School No. 9
485 N. Clinton Avenue, 14605
Principal: Sharon Jackson
Class Hours: 7:45am–1:45pm
Program for 3 & 4-year-olds
- Wraparound Care Availability: No
- Transportation Availability: RTS bus pass
- Medical/Counseling Services Availability: Health Center on site via Health Clinic and Mental Health Services
- Parent Groups/Supports: Parent Support Staff offers discussions that focus on bridging home and school, and classroom-based parent/child activities. Families are welcome in the classroom.
- Is a full-day program
- Offers monolingual PreK programs for 3 and 4 year olds
- Offers bilingual PK4 class
- Has Interactive Whiteboard technology in the classroom, computers, and iPads
One-Way Dual Language Program
In RCSD, the Prekindergarten One-Way Dual Language program model of 90/10, allows Spanish-speaking students to have the opportunity to develop bilingually. The teacher and paraprofessional provide instruction in Spanish (90%) and English (10%). The goal of this program is for students to develop Spanish literacy and begin to develop English oral language proficiency in order to be bilingual, biliterate, and bicultural.