Nathaniel Rochester Community School
The NRCS staff focuses on STEM as an approach to teaching and learning that integrates the content and skills of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics to promote critical thinking and problem solving. At NRCS, it is important that scholars think scientifically, explore the world of engineering, learn math through investigations and become readers and writers through their experiences.
Science: The study of the natural world and why and how things happen.
Technology: The study of the man-made world and products made by humans to meet a want or need.
Engineering: How something is made and how it works. Students understand how materials and forces of nature are utilized to benefit mankind.
Math: The science of patterns and relationships as well as, the language of numbers, shapes and quantities.
NRCS School Goals through STEM
- Increase student achievement in Science, Math, ELA and Social Studies
- Promote literacy through the use of non-fiction text and writing
- Expand language usage and vocabulary
- Engage students with hands-on learning and real world connections
- Increase student attendance at NRCS
- Increase student interest in and enthusiasm for STEM-related topics and careers
- Prepare students to study STEM fields in high school and college and pursue STEM related careers