Community service is a non-paying job performed by one person or a group of people for the benefit of the community or its institutions.
All 11th and 12th grade students must complete community service hours that many colleges expect to see, and to fulfill the mandatory requirement for the successful completion of Participation in Government (PIG) and Economics.
Beginning in Grade 11, all juniors are expected to complete at least 10 hours of community service to be performed outside of the school day. Students in Grade 12 are expected to complete an additional 10 hours of service, also to be performed outside of the school day for a combined total of 20 hours of service earned during the junior and senior years.
Community Service opportunities are listed on the information board located on the 3rd floor outside of the Academy Office. If you would like to participate in a Community Service Activity that is NOT listed, you must get that activity pre-approved by the Administrator in charge of 11th and 12th grades. The Administrator in charge of Community Service or his or her designee verify all hours that do not originate from the board and has the authority to refuse any or all un-approved service hours.
Community Service Guidelines and Resources:
- Community service hours must be unpaid.
- You should strongly consider completing more than 20 hours of community service as it can strengthen your college applications.
- Volunteer at a hospital, nursing home, a community summer program, or church.
- Participate in an organized cleanup activity at a local park, playground or community center.
- Register at www.volunteermatch.com, www.RochesterCares.org, or visit Foodlink at www.foodlinkNY.org to find other great opportunities.
- Serve as a SOTA Ambassador for events at school.
- Check out the volunteer opportunities at the Seneca Park Zoo, Lollypop Farm or the Rochester Animal Services Center.
- REMEMBER… you must return a completed community service form to the Commencement Office for each service opportunity.
- Community Service hours will not be accepted on a day that the student was not in school.
- Community Services cannot be completed during the school day unless pre approved.
- Community Service hours cannot be signed off by a family member.
- If you have any questions before beginning your service hours, please call the Commencement Office.
Please Note: All Community Service hours must be completed by Friday, May 31, 2019. Hours turned in after May 31, 2019 will not be processed in time to purchase prom tickets.
If a junior or a senior does not fulfill their Community Service hours they may not be allowed to participate in SOTA’s Prom or graduation ceremony.
Approved by the School Based Planning Team 2009