Bilingual Language and Literacy Academy585-324-2600 • 30 Hart Street, Rochester, NY 14605Program Director: David Polonia | firstname.lastname@example.orgBoard Liaison:School Chief: Shirley Green - Chief of School Leadership PreK-12https://www.rcsdk12.org/cms/lib/NY01001156/Centricity/domain/11468/september_2018_scorecards/BilingualSpanishAcademy.pdfFACTSGrades: K-12Student Enrollment: 82HOURSStarting on Wednesday, January 2, 2019, the Bilingual Language and Literacy Acacdemy will begin at 8:50 a.m. The end of the day will remain at 3:30 p.m.
A partir del miercoles, 2 de enero del 2019, la Academia Bilingüe comenzará a las 8:50 AM. El final del día escolar se mantendrá a las 3:30 PM.SCHOOL FEATURES
The Bilingual Language and Literacy Academy (BLLA) offers a Transitional Bilingual Education Program.
Students of the same home/primary language have the opportunity to learn to speak, understand, read, and write in English while continuing to learn academic content in their home/primary language. The Spanish home language is used to help them progress academically in all content areas while they acquire English. The goal is to provide students with the needed competencies that will facilitate a smooth transition to a mainstream bilingual education with the English skills needed to be successful. The expected length of stay at the BLLA is 24 months.
Goals of the BLLA
- Provide a language-sheltered environment as students develop English proficiency
- Provides acculturation and social emotional support
- Promotes billiteracy and biculturalism
- Meets the academic and transitional needs of the newly arrived Hispanic students and families
- Helps orient students to the NYS educational system
- Meets the mandated home language services and English as a New Language supports