School of the ArtsPrincipal: Kelly A. Nicastro | KellyA.Nicastro@rcsdk12.orgAssistant Principal: Jo Ann Aspenleiter | JoAnn.Aspenleiter@rcsdk12.orgAssistant Principal: Brian Chandler | Brian.Chandler@rcsdk12.orgAssistant Principal: Alan Tirre | Alan.Tirre@rcsdk12.orgAssistant Principal: Mario Belculfine | Mario.Belculfine@rcsdk12.orgArts Center Director: Adele Fico | Adele.Fico@rcsdk12.org
Athletic Director: David Michelsen | David.Michelsen@rcsdk12.orgCoordinating Administrator for Special Education: Tiffany Anderson | Tiffany.Anderson@rcsdk12.orgParent Contact: Cherri Hawkins | firstname.lastname@example.org
Board Liaison: Amy Maloy | email@example.comSchool Chief: Dr. Carmine Peluso | Carmine.Peluso@rcsdk12.org
Program InformationStart Time: 8:30 a.m.
Dismissal Time: 3:30 p.m.Grade Level: 7-12If you desire high academic achievement and are interested in developing your artistic talents, then School of the Arts is the place for you. Students at SOTA carry a full academic course load in addition to a rigorous Fine Arts sequence. Each semester, students are required to participate in performances and exhibitions within their major field of study. Due to the extensive Performing Arts calendar, SOTA students commit to instruction that extends well beyond the school day. Students may also wish to participate in the many athletic teams, clubs, and performance events throughout the school year. SOTA’s outstanding faculty and staff create an educational environment that is safe, nurturing, and promotes lifelong learning.FACTSUniforms: No
Foreign Languages: Spanish
Health/Wellness Center: No
Business/College/Faith Partnerships: Friends of School of the Arts, Eastman School of Music, Memorial Art Gallery, Hochstein School, Writers and Books, Geva Theatre, Lyric Theatre, Rochester Broadway Theatre League, Garth Fagan Dance, Visual Studies Workshop, Rochester Museum and Science Center, Strasenburgh Planetarium, University of Rochester, Roberts Wesleyan College, Nazareth College Arts Center, SUNY Geneseo, Corning Museum of Glass, Rochester Oratorio Society, Rochester Lyric Opera, Rochester International Jazz Festival, Rochester Association of Performing Arts (RAPA), First Niagara Rochester Fringe Festival, Leisure Care Village at Unity and Mill Landing, Rochester Regional Health, Center for Youth, Therapy Dogs International
Student-Parent School Compact Agreement required: YesSCHOOL FEATURES
- Arts-based education blending traditional academic subjects with a Fine Arts sequence in one of six subject areas: Creative Writing, Dance, Drama, Music, Theatre Technology, or Visual Arts.
- New York State Regents, Regents Honors, and Advanced Placement courses in American History, Art History, Biology, Chemistry, Calculus AB, Government and Politics: United States, English Language & Composition, English Literature, Physics, Virtual AP Computer Science, Virtual AP Psychology, World History, and Music Theory.
- Annual guest artist, cultural, and artistic exchange opportunities.
- Hillside Work Scholarship Program Director on-site to help students receive mentoring, academic support, and work opportunities outside school.
- Full complement of interscholastic sports for students in grades 7-12.
- Acceptance to School of the Arts requires an audition and/or portfolio presentation.
CAREER PATHWAY PROGRAMS
NYSED Approved CTE Programs
- Fire Science at Rochester Educational Opportunity Center
- Criminal Justice/Police at Rochester Educational Opportunity Center
- Intro to Career Pathways to Public Safety Program (Grade 11)
- Emergency Medical Services at Rochester Educational Opportunity Center
- Emergency Communications/911 at Rochester Educational Opportunity Center
- Cosmetology Program at Rochester Educational Opportunity Center
- Automotive at Edison
- Construction at Edison