Northwest Junior High at Douglass
Grade Level: 7-8
Foreign Languages: Spanish
Honors Classes: Yes
Tutoring/After School: Yes
Summer Programs: Yes
Advanced Placement (AP): No
English Language Learners: Yes
Health/Wellness Center: Yes
Extended/Expanded Day: Yes
Student-Parent School Compact Agreement required: No
- Expanded Learning Time (ELT): School schedule has lengthened from 8 to 9 periods. All 7th and 8th -graders work with community partners for one period each day. Enrichment topics in ELT classes include: Current Events, Writing Enrichment, Social Justice, and Health and Wellness.
- College and Career Counseling: Students focus on specific themes to heighten their awareness of college and careers. Counselors engage students in a series of presentations, field trips, and workshops that focus on the transition from high school to college. Naviance software is used to assist students in identifying their strengths and possible career pathways.
- Learning Labs have been instituted to assist students with their organizational, reading, and writing skills.
- Positive Behavior Supports are in place using incentives to reward positive student behavior. Each student is expected to have PRIDE (Problem-solver, Respectful, Independent, Dedicated, and Effort).
- Increased athletics for middle school students (Modified Football).
- Extracurricular and athletic opportunities include: step team, color guard, drumline, football, cheerleading, volleyball, tennis, swimming, soccer, lacrosse, basketball, wrestling, baseball, softball, and track.