James Monroe High SchoolPrincipal: Sandra Chevalier-Blackman | Sandra.Chevalier-Blackman@rcsdk12.orgAssistant Principal: Anthony Bianchi | Anthony.Bianchi@rcsdk12.orgAssistant Principal: Lauren McKoy | Lauren.McKoy@rcsdk12.orgAssistant Principal: Jason Muhammad | Jason.Muhammad@rcsdk12.orgAssistant Principal: Bernadette Regan| Bernadette.Regan@rcsdk12.orgAssistant Principal: Anthony Rodriquez| Anthony.Rodriguez@RCSDK12.ORGAssistant Principal: Meybhol Sapienza | Meybhol.Sapienza@rcsdk12.org
Parent Contact: Sertzai Weld | email@example.com
Board Liaison: Beatriz LeBron | firstname.lastname@example.org
School Chief: Amy Schiavi | Amy.Schiavi@rcsdk12.orgMonroe High School students have excellentopportunities in academics, arts, and athletics in a grade 7-12 community that incorporates language and culture into the school experience. Staff, students, and parents of Monroe work together to create a safe community that fosters respect and caring for each other. Students at Monroe are ambassadors of diversity. They learn, work, and contribute to the community. They are the jewel of the city.This school is currently in Receivership status by the New York State Education Department. For more information about Receivership or to view the school’s improvement measures, please visit https://www.rcsdk12.org/receivership.Program InformationStart Time: 8:30 a.m.
Dismissal Time: 3:30 p.m.Grade Level: 7-12FACTSUniforms: NoBusing: RTS
Foreign Languages: SpanishAdvanced Placement (AP): English Language, English Literature, World History, U.S. History, Psychology, Spanish
Health/Wellness Center: No
Business/College/Faith Partnerships: Center for Youth, RIT - Gear Up, University of Rochester Upward Bound, IBERO American Action League, SUNY Brockport, Hillside Work Scholarship, Hillside Health Homes, Foodlink, YMCA, Trillium Health, Flower City Arts Center, Excellus, Borinquen Dance Theater
Student-Parent School Compact Agreement required: NoSCHOOL FEATURES
- The Red Jacket Help Zone provides effective social and emotional supports for students in grades 7 through 12. This, in turn, minimizes the loss of instructional time and provides the individualized academic and social support that students need.
- Homebase session occurs daily and contributes to positive school culture. It promotes understanding of community partners, increases literacy, and teaches students restorative strategies that transfer to all areas of their lives. Homebase Advisors monitor attendance in their Period 1.
- Monroe students are eligible for the New York State Seal of Biliteracy, which signifies a high level of proficiency in more than one language. In addition, it prepares students with 21st century skills and provides those seeking college acceptance with an advantage during the application process.
- Restorative approaches are used to address student conflict and resolve matters peacefully. Our student ambassadors have been recognized throughout the state for their work in this program.
- Honors Program featuring acceleration in English, math, science, social studies, and Languages Other Than English (LOTE). Students have the potential to earn high schoolcredits during 8th grade.
- Dual enrollment courses with Monroe Community College include Spanish and Personal Management.
- Art department offers foundational, ceramics, and progressive technology courses.
- Music department features a state award-winning Steel Drum Band, piano instruction, and guitar instruction.
- Foreign Language department offers college-level courses and Spanish for Heritage Learners and native speakers.
- Social Studies department offers college-level classes including AP U.S. History and AP World History.
- Established and welcoming Parent Resource Center that supports parents as partners in their child’s education.
Parent Ambassadors, student ambassadors, and Student Government are active groups that support the school’s mission, vision, and initiatives.
CAREER PATHWAY PROGRAMS
NYSED Approved CTE Programs
• Fire Science at Rochester Educational Opportunity Center
• Criminal Justice/Police at Rochester Educational Opportunity Center
• Intro to Career Pathways to Public Safety Program (Grade 11)
• Emergency Medical Services at Rochester Educational Opportunity Center
• Emergency Communications/911 at Rochester Educational Opportunity Center
• Cosmetology Program at Rochester Educational Opportunity Center
• Automotive at Edison
• Construction at Edison