Nathaniel Rochester Middle School
Start Time: 7:30 a.m.
Dismissal Time: 2:00 p.m.
Grade Level: 7-8
Uniforms Required: No
Busing: School Buses
Student Enrollment: 630
Foreign Languages: Spanish
English Language Learners: Yes
Honors/Enrichment Classes: Yes
Early Literacy Program: Yes
Instrumental Music Lessons: Yes
Step Teams: No
Extended/Expanded Day: Yes
Saturday School: Yes
On-Site After-School Care: Yes (City Rec)
Summer Programs: Yes, for selected rising 7th and 8th graders
Business/College/Faith Partnerships: University of Rochester, Mt. Olivet Baptist Church, Third Presbyterian Church, Cornhill Neighborhood Association, Center for Youth, Roberts Wesleyan College, Generation 2, AmeriCorps, Genesee Country Museum, Rochester Museum and Science Center
- Middle School Honors Academy for students that qualify. Middle school students have the opportunity to take high school Regents courses in 7th and 8th grade.
- Expanded Learning School with a 7.5 hour day: students receive more than 200 extra hours each year of academic, social-emotional, and recreational opportunities beyond those offered during a traditional school day.
- School-wide focus on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math): Weekly STEM experiences with extracurricular activities, such as Engineering Academy, Invention Convention and Lego League.
- STEM field trips, including a school-wide field trip to the Genesee Country Museum and STEM activity camps over school breaks.
- Annual participation in the E3 Engineering and Technology Fair, Xerox Invention Convention and Structures Competition, and First Lego League.
- Opportunities to work with school partners at Xerox, the Rochester Museum and Science Center, and the University of Rochester’s Medical Center.
- All seventh- and eighth-grade students use tablet computers at school.
- Interscholastic school athletics for students in grades 7 and 8.
- Our community partner, Center for Youth, helps us offer students enrichment activities and targeted supports to help students be successful.