Montessori Academy School No. 53Principal: Dr. Kimberly Harris-Pappin | Kimberly.Harris-Pappin@rcsdk12.orgAssistant Principal: Timothy Graziano| Timothy.Graziano@rcsdk12.orgParent Contact: Sherphine Dailey | Sherphine.Dailey@rcsdk12.org
Board Liaison: Dr. Elizabeth Hallmark | Elizabeth.Hallmark@rcsdk12.orgSchool Chief: Toyia Wilson - Chief of School Leadership PreK-12FACTSGrade Level: K-6Uniforms Required: YesForeign Languages: NoEnglish Language Learners: YesHonors/Enrichment Classes: YesEarly Literacy Program: YesChorus: YesBand/Orchestra: YesInstrumental Music Lessons: YesSports: NoStep Teams: NoExtended/Expanded Day: NoSaturday School: NoOn-Site After-School Care: NoSummer Programs: NoBusiness/College/Faith Partnerships: : The Community Place (after-school program included), Rochester Roots, Inc. (day and after-school program), Friends of Dr. Freddie Thomas, Inc.SCHOOL FEATURES
- Incorporates the Motto: “We Believe in the Child.”
- Multi-age classrooms at three levels: Primary (ages 3, 4, 5); Lower Elementary (grades 1, 2); Middle Elementary (grades 3, 4); and Upper Elementary (grades 5, 6).
- Integrates the philosophical perspective of Dr. Maria Montessori into the Prepared Learning Environment through the teaching of Grace and Courtesy, Peace, Practical Life Skills, Sensorial, and uses Montessori materials.
Children engage in the Next Generation Learning Standards and NYS curriculum guided by the Montessori curriculum.
- Peer mentoring, role modeling, and long-term teacher-child relationships in multi-age classes.
- Students develop a global understanding of the world and become skilled at problem-solving by working collaboratively with peers.
- Considers child growth and development and children’s interests in its student-centered, individualized instructional approach.
Environment is designed to offer children opportunities to make positive choices and to enjoy academic success. Students are provided the materials, space, and time to build concentration, which promotes higher-level thinking skills.