Wrap some new words around your tongue - scintillating words such as ephemeral and preposterous!
-Keep a word journal of new and interesting words and phrases you come across in your reading-Read a news article just to find new words (fun right?!) - add these to your word journal-Study Words at the sites below:
SATs list of the most difficult SAT words
Online Graphical Dictionary
my words/phrases/ideas that I picked up from listening and reading...
- insidious: proceeding in a gradual, subtle way, but with harmful effects. (for example: Disease, propaganda)
- apostate: a person who renounces a religious or political belief or principle. (DISSENTER, DEFECTOR, TURNCOAT)
- solipsistic - (as in solipsistic monologue) : the theory that only the self exists, or can be proved to exist (EGOCENTRIC)
- pejorative - having a disparaging, derogatory, or belittling effect or force
- "ephemerality of things" - lasting for a very brief, fleeting, time (i.e. HIGH SCHOOL)
- "how we are shaped by what we see" - hmmmm, food for thought!
- omnipresent - present everywhere at the same time (think google, facebook...)
- Locus of control - the extent to which individuals believe that they can control events that affect them
- importune - demand with urgency or persistence (i.e. The teachers importune the students, begging them to read daily.)
- unfettered - To set free or keep free from restrictions or bonds; not tied down or shackled.
- sanguine - - optimistic or positive, esp. in an apparently bad or difficult situation
- ineffable - too great or extreme to be expressed or described in words
- bifurcate - to cause to divide into two branches or parts
"Those who control the wires of information, have the power." Consider: